Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- Articles should not exceed 8,000 words including notes. For a review article the target length is 5,000 words including notes. Two abstracts, one in Dutch and one in English, of 100-150 words are included. Please indicate on the top of the manuscript: name and full address (postal address, telephone number and e-mail); academic title; number of words.
- Manuscripts submitted to BMGN – Low Countries Historical Review have not been published elsewhere and are not under review for possible publication elsewhere.
- Files are accepted in Microsoft Word-format.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the article guidelines for authors here above.
- All numbered illustrations, figures, and tables are submitted separately. All illustrations are cleared from copyright (see article guidelines above).
- Authors who wish to publish in English or in Dutch and who are not native speakers are solely responsible for the translation or language editing of their manuscript by a native speaker before submission to ensure that the academic content of the article is fully understood by the editors and the reviewers. The editorial office has a list of third-party copy editors specialised in language editing and/or translation, that authors may contact. Please note that the use of any of these copy editing services are at the author's own expense. The Editorial Board will decide if the manuscript´s language check meets the requirements of the journal. Then, the editorial office of BMGN – Low Countries Historical Review will copy edit the final version of the article, both on the level of clarity of the content and on the level of style and notes.
- In case of a multi-authored article, all authors have given permission to be listed on the submitted text. One corresponding author is authorised to speak on behalf of the authors.
- All DOIs for online references have been provided, when available.
- The author warrants and represents that the work does not infringe upon any copyright, proprietary, or personal right of any third party. If the work contains any material that is owned or controlled by a third party, the author certifies that he/she has obtained permission for its use and that the material is clearly acknowledged within the text. This warrant concerns the entire manuscript, text as well as pictures, sound, video, data sets etc. The author also warrants to the journal that he/she has full authority to enter into this agreement and that the rights he/she is granting to BMGN – Low Countries Historical Review are done so without breaching any obligations he/she may have.
- The author declares the absence of any conflict of interest.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
a) BMGN – Low Countries Historical Review provides immediate open access to its content. Articles are distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work licensed under a CC BY-NC 4.0 license. This license allows others to share the work published in BMGN – Low Countries Historical Review with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
b) Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (for instance, post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
c) Authors are permitted to post their work online (for instance, in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process. Authors are explicitly encouraged to deposit their published article in their institutional repository.